D.R. Congo Facts
- Up to an estimated 5.4 million Congolese have died since 1998 due to war, destruction of infrastructure, and famine. Nearly half of those who have died have been children under the age of 5.
- D.R. Congo has the second highest infant mortality rate in the world.
- Citizens have the second lowest GDP per capita at $160/person ($45,989 in the United States).
- D.R. Congo is widely considered to be the world’s richest country in natural resources.
- Languages spoken: French, Lingala, Swahili, Kikongo, Tshiluba. Our children speak primarily Lingala, some French, and are now learning English.
- Religion: 70% Christian